Thursday, September 30, 2010

Our Bleeding Country

I have had the great Patrick Kavanagh’s words floating in my mind this past few months.

I have taken the liberty of rewriting his poem '
O Stony Grey Soil of Monaghan' to represent our current state of thinking.


Our Bleeding Country

O Soldiers of Destiny

The laugh from my soul you thieved

You took the gay child of my passion

And gave me your clod conceived


You clogged the feet of our children

We believed in your strut and tumble

Having the poise and stride of Bertie

And his voice the thick tongued mumble


You told me the Celtic Tiger was immortal

Our futures were safe and secure

Your country now bankrupt your citizens blunted

A banking and political system impure


You sang on steaming dunhills

A song of coward’s brood

You drained the public purse,

With your nose in the taxpayers trough


You have flung this countries future

A future once bright and strong.

O Soldiers of Density

You burgled my bank of youth!


Lost the joys of employment and pleasure

All the young men and women that leave

O can we still stroke the monster’s back

Or write with unpoisoned pen


Your name in these lonely verses

Or mention the dark future where

The first gay light of our youths future

Got caught in a bankers prayer.


From West Cork to Dublin City

Now there’s four hundred and fifty thousand

In a welfare state that shows no pity

And a population bludgeoned.


Declan Waugh courtesy of Patrick Kavaghan

1 comment:

Thekateynessofitblogspot.com said...

beautiful! profound! God lives outside of time and circumstance.I feel this in my soul as a citizen of North America.Nine 11 was a great awakening and yet we still feel the crunch of the bankers fists!